My first interview was at Boston University in October. BU was a great place. I really liked and felt like I fit in. The schools is very research oriented and focused. I was surprised that they recommended that every student perform some research while they attend medical school at BU. My interviews went very well and the old Dean of Admissions told me that I would be "a good fit" at BU. I lOVE Boston and definitely could live there, so I wouldn't mind living there for 8 some odd years. The only problem with BU is that I don't receive my stipend all my years of school. I don't want to go into debt, especially when I will be starting my career around age 35.
My second interview was at Tufts University in November. It appears that the Boston schools like me and think I'll fit into their program. Tufts was also a great school. I fell in love with one researcher and his research. He is an up and coming researcher who is proving wrong many of the believed concepts of T cell activation. He would help my career go far. Also, Tufts is very keen on mentoring. They constantly have people checking up on the MD/PhDs and helping them through the long process. Another benefit is that I am funded all of my years of school and I receive a stipend. One problem is the push to finish the program in 7 years. I wonder if moving through the program faster could be a disservice to students.
My last interview was at NYU. I absolutely loved NYU! The school is amazing, the people are amazing, the research is amazing, the immunology department is amazing, the facilities are amazing, and NYC is always amazing. Right now, I would consider NYU my topic choice. I was very impressed with their dedication to infectious disease immunology. They are currently expanding the immunology department, which means a lot of new, up and coming researchers will be at NYU. In this expansion, they are building a brand new research building and it will be completed by the time that I'm starting my graduate school years. Also, I felt a strong sense of belonging at NYU. I was well received by all my interviewers and I made friends quickly with students. I took this as a very good sign. I also made a really good friend at NYU who was also an interviewee.
The first round of acceptances for all of these schools is in January, which leaves me a little more time to hear from them. I hope I hear good news from all of them. I am still waiting to hear back from 7 schools and I have another interview at Mount Sinai at the beginning of February. That means that I have had 4 interviews and 9 rejections. I'm pretty sure that at least half of the schools left will send me a rejection.
Here's to hoping I get in at least one of the schools I have interviewed at!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Thanks for the update. I hope you hear some good news soon!
Post a Comment